top of page

Concerns, Compliments & Complaints

First Choice will deal with any complaints you have about our services.  We will try to explain things to you if you do not understand.  If we got something wrong we will apologise and will try to put things right.

 Have you asked us yet? 

If you are contacting us about a service for the first time, (e.g. reporting a faulty electrical socket, telling us about a problem with a neighbour) then it is not a complaint. You should first give us a chance to deal with your request. 


If you make a request for a service and then are not happy with our response then it is a complaint. If your complaint is about something we do not control, e.g. where the Welsh Government has not approved Physical Adaptations Grant funding, we will tell you how to contact the right people.


Normally, we will only be able to look at your complaint if you tell us about the problem within six months.  This is because it is better to look into your complaint while the issues are still fresh in everyone’s mind.

 Informal Complaints 

We believe it is best to deal with things straight away if we can, rather than try to sort them out later.  If you have a concern, raise it with the person you are dealing with.  They will try to deal with it for you there and then. 


If the member of staff cannot help then they will explain why and you can then ask for a formal investigation.

How to make a complaint


Asking for our complaints form from the person you have been dealing with.  Tell them that you want us to deal with your complaint formally.


Phoning our Complaints Officer on (029)20 703758


Using the form on our website at


E-mailing us at


Writing to us at the following address


First Choice Housing Association

Unit 10 Village Way, Greenmeadow Springs

​CF15 7NE


Copies of this leaflet and the complaint form are available in English, Welsh and any other language or format upon request e.g. audio, large print etc. 

 Dealing with a Complaint 

  • We will contact you within 5 working days and let you know how we intend to deal with your complaint. 


  • We will check with you how you would like us to communicate with you and whether you have any requirements – for example, if you have a disability. 


  • We will deal with your complaint in an honest way. We will make sure our future services to you are not affected because you have made a complaint to us.


If you are making a complaint on behalf of somebody else, we will need their agreement to you acting for them.

 If more than one Organisation is involved 

  • If your complaint covers more than one organisation, such as the Local Authority Social Services Department or a support provider, we will work with them to make sure your complaint is dealt with.


  • You will be given the name of the person who will be looking at your complaint.


  • If the complaint is about an organisation working on our behalf, such as contractors or anyone whom First Choice has asked to visit your property, you may wish to talk to them first. 


  • However, if you want to complain formally, we will look into this and respond to you.


The person at First Choice who will usually investigate your complaint is the Operational Housing Manager.  He will ask you to tell him what outcome you are hoping for. 


We will deal with complaints as quickly as possible. We expect to reply to you within 20 working days.   


If your complaint is not a simple one, we will let you know how long we expect it to take. 


We will also give you regular updates. We may ask to meet you to discuss your concerns.


Occasionally we might suggest mediation or another way to try to resolve your complaint.


After we have looked into your complaint we will let you know what we have
found and try and put it right.

If we did not provide a service that you should have had we will provide it straight away if it is possible.


If we did something badly, we will put it right if we can. 


If we got something wrong we will tell you why it happened and apologise. 


If there is a fault in our systems or the way we do things we will tell you.  We will tell you how we will change things to stop it happening again. 

 Right to Appeal 

If you are still not happy, you can request an internal review by a Director or Chief Executive of the Association. If you are still not happy with the outcome of your complaint at the end of the appeals process you have the right to complain to the Public Services Ombudsman as detailed below.


If we cannot solve your complaint you can complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.


The Ombudsman is independent of all government bodies and can look into your complaint if you believe that you, or the person on whose behalf you are complaining has been treated unfairly or received a bad service by First Choice.

The Ombudsman expects you to give us a chance to put things right first.  You can contact the Ombudsman by:


Phone:          01656 641150



Writing to:     

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales,
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae,
CF35 5LJ

Learning Lessons

We will take your complaints seriously and try to learn from any mistakes we have made. 

Our senior management team and our Board of Management consider our response
to complaints every month.

 What if I need help? 

Our staff will help you make your complaint to us. 


If you need extra help, please let us know.  You may wish to contact a family member, your support provider (if you have one) or an advocacy service to help you.


If you are under the age of 18, you can speak to someone on the Meic Helpline (phone 080880 23456, or contact the Children’s Commissioner for Wales. 


Contact details are:


01792 765600 (South Wales)         

01492 523333 (North Wales)

South Wales Office:

Oystermouth House
Phoenix Way

North Wales Office:

Penrhos Manor
Oak Drive
Colwyn Bay
LL29 7YW

 What we expect from you 

We believe that anybody who complains has the right to be heard, understood and respected.


First Choice also considers our staff to have the same rights. We expect you to be polite when contacting us.




We all like to know when we are doing something well and here at First Choice we are no different. All compliments are passed on to staff and our Board of Management. Compliments help us know what we are doing well and what you want us to keep doing.

We also want to hear from you if you have a suggestion on how to improve our service to you.


You can give us a compliment by:

Phoning us on:  (029)20 703 758





First Choice Housing Association

Unit 10 Village Way, Greenmeadow Springs​​

CF15 7NE


First Choice will treat the Welsh and English languages on the basis of equality.  A full copy of our Welsh Language Scheme and a Welsh version of this document is available on request.


Please contact the Association if you require this information in another language or format.


First Choice is committed to the principles of equality and diversity as an employer and landlord.  If you feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the Chief Executive on 029 2070



First Choice is registered with the Welsh Government: J094. 


First Choice is registered with Charitable Status under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965: 26118R.

Have you asked us?
Informal Complaints
Dealing with a Complaint
One or more Organisation
Right to Appeal
What if I need help?
What we expect from you
bottom of page