top of page

Energy Price Rising: What you can do.

FCHA's Housing Officer, Dave has compiled some important advice on what you can do to reduce your energy prices and your carbon footprint.

Many government schemes support free or subsidised energy-saving measures. These aim to help vulnerable people and encourage energy efficiency in our homes. Some schemes are provided directly through your supplier.

Check if you qualify for the governments

  • Winter Fuel Payment – a £100 to £300 fuel payment for people born on or before 5 October 1954.

  • Cold Weather Payment – a £25 payment for every 7 days of very cold weather between November and March.

  • Warm Home Discount – a £140 discount for some people getting Pension Credit or some people in low-income households.

  • Household Support Fund - a funding package to help vulnerable households this winter. Contact your local council for advice and help on accessing the fund.

Tips to avoid wasting energy

  1. Use a timer on your central heating system. Set the heating and hot water to come on only when required.

  2. If you have a hot water tank, set the cylinder thermostat to 60oC (140oF).

  3. Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat from escaping through the windows. Check for draughts too.

  4. Always turn off the light when you leave a room.

  5. Use energy-saving light bulbs.

  6. Don’t leave appliances on standby or laptops and mobile phones on charge unnecessarily.

  7. When washing up, washing or drying by machine, try to fully load the appliance. One full load uses less energy than two half loads.

  8. Try to only boil the water you need.

  9. Turn taps off properly. In a single week, a dripping hot tap can waste enough hot water to fill half a bath.

  10. Dry your clothes outside during nice weather.

Further help

Contact Citizens Advice if you aren’t sure about your options and need more support. If you are in a vulnerable situation someone at their Extra Help Unit could take on your case.

  • Call 0808 223 1133 or use their online webchat.

  • For textphone, dial 18001 followed by the helpline number

Check you are receiving all the benefits or grants you might be entitled to.

You might be entitled to extra benefits and entitlements. To estimate all your entitlements, you can use the benefits calculator at www.GOV.UK

Many charities, professional, faith and local organisations offer grants for fuel costs and do not ask for the money back. To find out if you can apply, use the Turn2us website Or Call 0808 802 2000

I’m worried about financial difficulty or debt when my extra coronavirus payment ends

If this drop to your Universal Credit payments will put you in financial difficulty or make it a struggle to pay off debts, you can talk to someone today, online or by phone. CAB’s trained advisers can help you start sorting out your financial problems.

Need someone to talk to about your finances?

If you’re struggling with money, you can talk to a specialist today, online or by phone, who will be able to help you start sorting out your financial problems.

Some bills are more important than others, such as your rent or council tax payments.

You can also contact these organisations for free help with debt and budgeting:

What to do if you’re worried about your energy bills rising

Energy regulator Ofgem raised its energy price cap to £1,277 on October 1, which means your energy bill could rise by an average of £139 a year or £153 if you’re on a pre-payment meter. Find out how this might affect your gas and electricity bill and what you can do to help keep your energy costs down.

Why are energy prices rising?

The price rise has been caused by an increase in wholesale gas prices (the amount that energy firms pay), which have seen a steep rise since Ofgem last updated the price cap in December 2020. Gas prices have hit a record high as the world emerges from lockdown at the same time as other economic factors having an impact.

This means that changes in wholesale prices are passed on to households through rising energy bills.

What happens if my energy supplier goes bust?

If your energy supplier has stopped trading, it’s important to sit tight, don’t switch and wait until your new provider contacts you. Your new supplier will be chosen by Ofgem, which can take several weeks.

If you’re already in the process of switching, your switch will still go through.

Make sure you take a meter reading so that you’re ready for when your new supplier contacts you.

It’s also worth keeping old energy bills and waiting until your new supplier is appointed before cancelling any direct debits.

Will my energy bill go up?

If you’re on a default or standard variable tariff you’re likely to see your bill rise by an average of £139 a year and £153 if you’re on a pre-payment meter. If you're on a fixed deal your bills won't go up until the fixed deal ends.

Struggling to pay a bill? Contact your energy supplier

Falling behind on your energy bills can be extremely stressful. If you’re struggling to make your next bill payments or to find money to top up your meter, contact your energy supplier as soon as possible.

Your supplier must help you come up with a solution and come up with a payment plan that works for you both.

There’s extra support available if you’re vulnerable. For example, if you have health needs, a disability, are pregnant, have small children or have reached state pension age.

Your supplier can also tell you about grants and charities that might be able to support you as well.

If you’ve already missed more than one payment on your energy bill or you’re going without heating or lighting because you have no money to top up your meter, now’s the time to get debt advice.

A debt adviser will be able find a debt solution that’s best for you and to signpost you to information about charitable grants and hardship funds to support people struggling with energy bills, so it’s worth getting in touch with them to see if you qualify.

How can I save money on my energy bills.

Simple things like making sure you unplug phone chargers, not leaving things on standby and using energy efficient light bulbs are the first steps. Remember, if you use more, you’ll pay more.

Remember if you need to talk about your bills with your landlord you can always ring the Housing Management Team on 02920 713765 or email



Recent Stories

bottom of page